Loft Conversion building regulations

Do I need building regulations for a loft conversion?
Building regulations approval is required to convert a loft or attic into a liveable space.

The Building Regulations are minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings.

Building regulations approval is different to planning permission. You might need both.

Building regulations approval is different to planning permission. You might need both.

Photo 18-03-2017, 12 06 41

What qualifies as ‘building work’ and falls under control of the regulations?
All extension work requires building regulations approval and you may need building regulations approval for many alteration projects, including:

FREE GUIDE: Category: Loft Conversions
FREE: The Beginners Guide To Loft Conversions

Inside this easy to read free guide, discover the things you need to consider before converting your loft.

Building regulations approval will ensure:

  • The structural strength of the new floor is sufficient (the existing timber joists that form the “floor” of the loft space may not have been designed to support a significant weight)
  • The stability of the structure (including the existing roof) is not endangered
  • There is a safe escape from fire
  • The stairs to the new floor are safely designed
  • Reasonable sound insulation between the conversion and the rooms below
  • Adequate ventilation & drainage if required
  • Electrical & hot water system safety

What happens if I don’t comply with building regulations?

  • The person doing the work could be prosecuted and fined
  • Your local authority could make you remove the faulty work/pay for it to be fixed
  • Without approval you will not have the certificates of compliance you may need when you want to sell your home

How do I apply for building regulation approval?
You do not need to get building regulations approval yourself if you use someone registered with a competent person scheme. If you are carrying out the building works yourself, or you’re working with someone who’s not registered with a competent person scheme, then you can apply for building regulation approval via the Planning Portal.


Thinking of your dream home improvement or how to start your project? 
Need your planning questions answered? Talk to an expert today.
Book a FREE 20 Minute Call with one of our home improvement Architects.

Connect with Yoop Architects...